Went for a little jog today.... Part of my training for Phuket marathon 0.5. While getting my run on I was bumping tunes on that random steez, and my song "Juicy" came on. Hadn't heard this Biggie classic in a while, which is too bad cause its truly an amazing cut. Anyway, it got me thinking about other sick rap songs, and the rest of my run was spent thinking about my top 5 rap songs...

So as I sit here and watch Season 3 of The Hills (I'm addicted to reality tv and MTV.com) I present to you Kento's Top 5 Rap Songs...(if you wanna listen, the links to the videos are in the song title)

5. I Got 5 On it -- Luniz


Obviously...This cut represents a hazy chapter in my life, and was pretty much my anthem for the grip. The flows arent the most inspirational, but I can sing this one backwards, forwards, and eyes half closed....So, for the most part, I Got 5 On It makes it to the list for its significance in my life...Not only that, the beat is just so sick that even Matt Uhlman can bob his head to it....
--"and if you let 'em hit it for free, you hella dum-dum-dum-dum"

4. Can't Knock the Hustle -- Jay-Z


Diga Me!!! Jay-Z is one of the best if not 'The Best' lyricist of our time, and this song is a great example of his skills...Though I think some of his best stuff is on the Blueprint album, I like this song cause it shows classic pre-retirement superstar status Jay-Z. The one-liners in this song are so solid...its even more amazing that he doesn't write this stuff down. True genius...
--"I sip fine wines, and spit vintage flows"

3. Ain't Nothing But a G Thang -- Dr. Dre ft. Snoop Dogg


C'mon...who cant sing this...even sorority girls from eastern Washington can get down with Dre and Snoop and spit to this one. To me this song is the epitome of West Coast, and the launch of gangsta rap into the American suburbs....Dre brought a little piece of Compton and the thug life to white america, and things have never been the same. I started to use words like "dog" and "homie" in reference to my friends after this song came out, and still do...now thats impact. Plus Snoop was actually cool back then. This song is a true rap anthem.
--"getting funky on the mic like an old batch of collard greens"

2. Juicy -- Notorious BIG



The song that sparked the list...This is a great song because Biggie is able to smoothly lay out a great story...its a song you can follow and vibe with the whole way thru...a clean beginning middle and end...A lot of rap songs these days is just a mash up of tight one-liners, like the ADHD rap styles of say Lil' Wayne... Plus you gotta feel good about the rags to riches theme...The song is so tight that I don't even mind P. Diddy in the background. --"Birthdays was the worst days Now we sip champagne when we thirst-ay"

1. Life Goes On -- Tupac Shakur



All that really needs to be said is, "Its Tupac"...man was a poet and a genius who has a whole list of songs to choose for top 5, but I took this one for sentimental value...cant help but think of my homie Keoni whenever I hear this song, RIP...The storytelling is just so clear you can really imagine yourself in the scenes he sets up....its truly beautiful shit, and its a song you can show off to prove the real art in Rap....fuck Soulja Boy...
--"But now you buried, Rest nigga Cause I ain't worried, Eyes bluried Sayin' goodbye at the cemetery, Tho' memories fade I got your name tatted on my arm so we both ball till' my dying days"


So there you have it....Kento's Top 5 Rap Songs. I am not the authority on rap nor am I a music columnist as you can tell, but this is me. I would love to hear what other people got on their list. Trust me, thinking of your top 5 anything is pretty hard. Comments, Feedback, Props are all welcome... peace out!!!

Tuesday, February 16, 2010 Posted in | , , , , , , | 8 Comments »

One Responses to "The Steez"

  1. Andrew Farris says:

    Geto Boys - Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangsta
    Souls of Mischief - '93 to Infinity
    Biz Markie - Just a Friend
    Positive K - I Got a Man
    Almost anything off the first Dr. Octagon

    A few of these barely qualify as rap, but this ain't no thing.

  1. Nuggles says:

    But whats your man got to do with me???

  1. Unknown says:

    Positive K is going way back but that could make my top 5. You throw a little love Snoop's way but how about Ain't no fun. A pretty good cut that some how makes girls lose their shit even though it ain't no fun if my homies can't get a taste of it cause you know i don't love em.

    I can't believe there wasn't any love for your roosevelt homie mix-a-lot was the man in his day.

    I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel of the 5 worst ever containing obnoxious cult hits such as Juvi's Back that ass up or ODB's Gimme my money

  1. Rob says:

    kent you forgot "gangsta lean"....

  1. Ken Barron
    says:

    You apparently forgot Dragon Ash and Buddha Brand. Haha.

  1. Nuggles says:

    good call Ken....I should have gone international and hit up that Dragon Ash Grateful Days.......I would replace the Jay-Z...

  1. JoshCall
    says:

    Bone Thugs - Thuggish ruggish bone
    Camp Lo - Luchini (AKA This is it)
    Dr. Dre - Ain't Nothing But a G Thang
    Wu-Tang - Shame on a nigga
    Outkast - ATLiens

    Honorable mention: Kane & Abel 'Time after time'...you know what I'm talkin bout Kento

  1. Nuggles says:

    JC!!! good to see you on the blog roll....I feel you on 3 of your cuts...Camp Lo reminds me of skiing with you and Theo, Thuggish ruggish is smoking in Mike E's van and that dude Heyeng. ATLiens also hit on Mikes bumps....hahaha high school, what a trip. And of course Time after Time, but also dont forget Twista or No Limit Soldier....Young Bleed?? I think I need to make a top 50

Write a comment